Simpleware for Digital Rock Physics
Porous media analysis, virtual special core analysis and rock typing
Simpleware provides software solutions for digital rock analysis and rock typing. Use Simpleware software’s comprehensive image processing interface to easily visualise, segment and quantify scan data (CT, micro-CT, FIB-SEM...).
Easily identify pore networks and obtain a wide range of measurements and statistics, with options available to export multi-part CAE meshes for Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD). The effective material properties of scanned samples can also be calculated using homogenisation techniques.
Process and Quantify Image Data
Simpleware software can be used to visualise, segment and generate measurements and statistics from image data, enabling easy characterisation of scanned samples.
- Inspect internal features of scans
- Easily segment and analyse different particles with watershed-based tools
- Use semi-automated segmentation tools to identify regions of interest (ROIs)
- Take measurements and obtain statistics (porosity, cracks, grain orientations...)
Export FE and CFD models
Use Simpleware software’s proprietary meshing algorithms to generate simulation-ready models for use in FE and CFD solvers.
- Meshes feature conforming interfaces and shared (coincidental) nodes
- Define FE contact surfaces, node sets and shell elements
- Define CFD boundary conditions
- Optimise mesh quality for specific metrics
- Direct export to leading FE and CFD solvers
Calculate Effective Material Properties
Simpleware provides fully integrated Physics modules (+SOLID, +FLOW and +LAPLACE) for calculating the effective material properties of scanned samples using homogenisation techniques. Use +SOLID to calculate elastostatic properties, +FLOW to calculate absolute permeability, and +LAPLACE to calculate effective electrical conductivity/permittivity, thermal conductivity and molecular diffusivity.
- Choose from full FE-based homogenisation or quick calculation of analytical bounds (+SOLID and +LAPLACE only)
- Select from a range of predefined boundary conditions to reduce boundary effects
- Visualise fields obtained from FE simulations
- Assess the symmetry level of analysed samples
Use Scripting to Automate Workflows
The software's functionality can be accessed using an integrated scripting interface, and through languages such as Python, Iron Python, C#, Java, Visual Basic and Boo. Macro recording and a log history converter can also be used to automate steps, while user-created plug-ins can be incorporated within the software to improve efficiency when processing image data.